Wednesday, January 26, 2011

To paint or not to paint?

Have you all seen Joanna's apartment tour?





Gorgeous! I love so much about it, from the natural brick and wood-stacked fireplace to the built-in bookshelves and abundance of framed images. But what I love most is the gorgeous muted gray blues that pop up throughout the space. Not surprising, then, that Joanna is providing the main inspiration for painting my new office chair. We started out with pretty much the same thing:



Jenny from Little Green Notebook, the design genius behind this space, spray painted the chair with what she thinks was Krylon's "Medium Gray." This was the result:





Gorgeous! Unfortunately, Krylon doesn't list a "Medium Gray" color on their website, and the chair at least appears to be more blue than gray (to me, anyway!). The closest option seems to be "Mountain View:"



There's also "Stonewashed Denim"



...and "Classic Gray."



Do those look too dark to you, though? The only other possibility is "Peekaboo Blue," but that seems too bright:



Which brings me to my two questions for you today:

1) Should I paint the chair or leave it as is?

2) If I should paint it, which color would you recommend? One of these blue grays, a different blue gray, or something more neutral, like white? Seleta suggested a few gray blues in this post, which I'm also pondering...

Let me know what you think!

All apartment photos by Karen Mordechai. Want more details? Check out Joanna's blog post here and Jenny's blog posts here and here on the redesign. Both give tons of tips and inside sources for the details seen in the photos!

7 comments:

  1. No painting! I love the wood. You could make a cushion out of a gray-blue fabric (and you'd probably have more choices). If you are going to paint, I like Mountain View the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why not have fun? I say paint it! I actually have the same chair in black with a white cushion, so this is inspiring me to consider painting it (when it's not snowing inches upon inches in CT).
    I like mountain view, but something even more bold and vibrant would also be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been having gray on my brain as I've been thinking about what to do in our family room! So funny that gray should be on your mind too. Although I do love the wood, I think the chair would look great in the Mountain View.
    Snow in CT has stopped for awhile (after 2-3 inches during the day), but we're supposed to get 8-10 more inches tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the natural wood! I agree with Kate on both the cushion idea and the paint color, if you are going to paint. The chair is beautiful! Great find

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely paint it, and definitely go with the first swatch "Mountain View".

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo, I hadn't thought about spray paint (I have 10 chairs I want to paint). Can't wait to hear what happens, and if you do paint, will you show the process? i.e. will you sand first? (That's what has kept me from painting)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Emily! Of course I will share! I got the spray painting idea from Jenny of Little Green Notebook, who spray painted Joanna's chair!

    ReplyDelete

Peach and Pearl reserves the right to restrict comments that do not contribute constructively to the conversation at hand. Name and email are required, website is not. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!