Monday, January 3, 2011

101 in 1001, Vol. II

The time has come! I am very, very excited about this list I've compiled, and excited about the next 2.75 years if I accomplish even half of these goals. One of my favorite parts? I chose to group my tasks around identities I hope to cultivate in the next few years, meaning even the list organization contributes to the personal growth :)

A brief recap for those of you unfamiliar with the Day Zero/101 in 1001 Project:

The Mission:
Complete 101 preset tasks/goals/challenges in a period of 1001 days.

The Criteria:
Tasks must be specific (i.e. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and represent "stretching."

Why 1001 Days?
It's all about a realistic deadline. 1001 days (about 2.75 years) allows you several seasons to complete tasks, which is better for organizing and timing things like overseas trips or outdoor activities.

Start Date: January 1, 2011
End Date: September 27, 2013
Goals Complete: 14/101
Goals in Progress: 34/101
Last Updated: October 30, 2011

Bold marks a completed item
Peach marks a partially completed or in-progress item

Kind :: to myself and others
1. Pay the bill for someone behind me in the drive-through line (April 2011)
2. Make a new friend (February 2011 -- hi, Nancy!)
3. Send a care package to someone I don't know
4. Get a pedicure once every summer (1/3)
5. Volunteer at the animal shelter at least twice a month (12/66)
6. Complete the 100 Pushup Challenge
7. Take walk after work once a week (41/132)
8. Leave a lovely sticky note on a stranger's windshield
9. Start going to a fun exercise class, like Pure Barre or Irish dance
10. Visit one or both grandmas (without parents!)
11. Cultivate five habits to make my life more green (1/5 :: switched to organic cleaning spray and cloths)
12. Seek out five people I know who are getting married and offer my expertise (5/5 :: Joanne/Amanda, Caroline, Mike + Antonia, Amy's friend, Marget)
13. Read To Kill a Mockingbird (my favorite book of all time) every August (1/3)

Settled :: at home, wherever that may be
14. Reupholster a piece of furniture
15. Get at least one room to a place where I feel it's fully decorated
16. Make a fresh flower arrangement every month (10/33 :: see flickr set here)
17. Live somewhere with a window seat
18. Invest in IRA every year (2/3)
19. Buy or install new shelving for books (October 2011 - post here)
20. Can or pickle some sort of vegetable or fruit
21. Transfer car insurance from parents (January 2011)
22. Acquire a KitchenAid mixer
23. Buy a new cookbook every year (1/3 :: Jamie's Food Revolution (2011))
24. Buy that chair I really want at the flea market and refinish it (bought on January 23, 2011!!)
25. Buy a car (May 2011)
26. Successfully transport trunk from Island to apartment (July 2011)
27. Marry John! (engaged June 25, 2011!)

Daring and Adventurous
28. Visit Canada (preferably Montreal, Quebec, or Prince Edward Island)
29. Attend an opera
30. Try an unusual type of milk (tried almond milk in May 2011!)
31. Go treehouse camping or glamping
32. Cheer at a Southern football game (October 2011)
33. Eat vegetarian for three separate weeks (do not have to be consecutive) (1/3)
34. Camp at least once a year (1/3 - 2011)
35. Attend The Nutcracker every year (experiencing as many different versions as possible) (0/2)
36. Visit Chincoteague
37. Have a croissant at a French cafe
38. Stealth-plant tulips
39. Explore two more states/regions I've never been to (1/2 :: Charleston in August 2011)
40. Wear a large hat to the Kentucky Derby
41. Host an adventure dinner party like Jordan
42. Go to Europe
43. Attend the ballet (besides The Nutcracker)
44. Try ten new foods (4/10 :: hominy in 1/11, tempeh in 2/11, cod in 6/11, collard greens in 8/11)

Faithful
45. Read the New Testament (began in June 2011)
46. Go on a missions trip
47. Increase giving/tithing by 10% every year (1/2)
48. Kneel in prayer at least once a week (41/132)
49. Invite someone to come to church with John and me
50. Go to church when traveling (to experience new pastors and ways of doing things -- see flickr set here)
51. Do another service at the Island
52. Find a way to observe the Sabbath
53. Email Adam Hamilton sermons to three people who might be interested (2/3 - to Mom and Dad, in September 2011)
54. Find a Bible study that meets regularly at FUMC
55. Add one piece to the Willow Tree nativity each year (0/2)

Creative
56. Photograph and post 30 separate outfits for the world to see (1/30 -- see all here)
57. Memorize another favorite poem
58. Acquire a sewing machine and make something with its assistance
59. Get someone to publish my thesis
60. Put together a portfolio of projects I've worked on -- both personal and professional
61. Make a quilt for picnics
62. Read biographies of five people I admire (1/5 :: Washington (His Excellency by Joseph Ellis in Feb. 2011))
63. Interview, shadow, or intern with three people who do things/have jobs I'd like to learn more about (0/3)
64. Buy two new books of poetry every year (1/6 :: Domestic Work (2011))
65. Make another video commemorating a big trip or event (June 2011 -- video here!)
66. Improve product photography skills
67. Improve product styling skills
68. Develop a product to collaborate on with Aunt Nan and open a dedicated Etsy store for it
69. Learn something from someone I admire (i.e. flower arranging from the Little Flower School or Blossom and Branch, fabric crafts from Purl, Adobe programs or photography from Nicole Hill Gerulat)
70. Consult with a calligrapher and then buy real calligraphy supplies (June 2011)
71. Get Peach & Pearl a spiffy new look
72. Grow blog to over 500 subscribers in Google Reader (419/500)
73. Get to 100 sales on Etsy (68/100)
74. Monetize blog
75. Switch blog platform from Blogger to Wordpress
76. Make or acquire a favicon (January 2011)
77. Design and print return address labels for P&P packaging (February 2011 -- post here)

Warm and Welcoming
78. Start a book club like Brooke
79. Host an outdoor party when fruit trees are in bloom
80. Purchase six favorite books from my childhood -- nice, hardcover copies (5/6 :: Gregory, the Terrible Eater (2011), Time of Wonder (2011), Make Way for Ducklings (2011), Frederick (2011), Where the Wild Things Are (2011))
81. Plan another backpacking adventure with as many friends as will come
82. Successfully dock a boat each summer at the Island (1/3)
83. Host a series of collaborative dinners a la Sunday Suppers
84. Send news to The Quarterly at least once a year (1/3)
85. Transfer Christmas card recipient list/log to Google Docs like Kate (January 2011)

Joyful
86. Buy cowboy boots
87. Learn a new form of dance every year (0/3)
88. Find a signature drink and learn how to mix it
89. Jump off the dock at the Island once a year (0/3)
90. Adopt a beagle
91. Learn how to French braid my hair
92. Learn how to French braid the hair of others
93. Buy a classic Christmas book every year (0/2)
94. Meet Eddie Ross
95. Buy new (vision) glasses
96. Read my thesis every May (1/3)
97. Practice yoga three times a week for three months (0/36)
98. Read the entire Chronicles of Narnia series (2/7)
99. Develop a classical playlist on Spottify
100. Hear Martha Stewart speak or watch a taping of The Martha Stewart Show
101. Begin a new 101 in 1001 list!

As promised, if any of you are also starting a 101 list, or have one in progress, I would love to link to it in a new category on my sidebar! Just leave a comment with the link and I'll get things set up.

Here's to a fabulous new year! Tell me: which goal do you like the best? Any you have a question about? Any you find intriguing? Let me know!

30 comments:

  1. Just found you via link from That Wife blog. Subscribed to you on Google Reader - Hope this helps with #72 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been following your blog for a while. Great inspiration. I even started my own 101 in 1001 list this year. One of my items was to start a Google Reader. I subscribed to you so here's to #72!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, you two are so sweet!! Thank you, thank you! Ms Buzzworthy, send me the link to your 101 list -- I'd love to add it to my blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emily!! I love the new list!!

    I don't currently read P&P through Google reader, but I can switch over since it's a goal of yours!

    I'd love to have my list linked to yours. I just blogged about it on yankeebornsouthernbred.tumblr.com

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My list is all set on GoogleDocs and ready to be linked up. :) Also, I'm following you on Google Reader, so you're welcome. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came over from That Wife too, and between the two of you, I was inspired to make my own list. I'm so excited about it!

    Here's a link to my list: http://scrappinalli.blogspot.com/2011/01/101-in-1001.html

    I think it's great that you're adding the links to your sidebar. The lists you linked to in a previous post helped me a lot when I was creating mine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I added you on my Google Reader. :) Thank you for the inspiration on the 101 in 1001.

    Here is the link to my list: http://royaleventsbymelissa.wordpress.com/2011/01/04/goal-setting-2011-part-2-of-2/

    I look forward to keeping up with everyone. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa and Alli, you are both officially added! Great lists, both of you -- I look forward to following them!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so inspiring!

    I'm a SWMAG reader, and found a link to your blog from there. I'd love to help you with your Canadian visit and your ballet wishes!! I live in a harbour town in Southern Ontario. Come on up for a visit any time, and we'll check out Canada's National ballet. They're wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds WONDERFUL, Poet! We'll be in touch :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Emily, WOW, I LOVE this list! It has totally inspired me and I think this weekend....I too will make one. GREAT post! Great idea!

    ...great holiday cd mix! Thanks for the CD swap!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so inspired by this! I've written my own list too. http://delightningstrikes.blogspot.com/2011/01/delightning-101.html

    Thanks for jump-starting my year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your list! I'm so excited about starting mine.

    http://poppyandmandarin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. here's my challenge list!!! love your blog! i'll help with #72 too! http://helloseester.blogspot.com/2011/01/101-in-1001-challenge.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! New follower (Hope that helps!) from That Wife...LOVE the list idea and you both inspired me to do my own list. Here's a link to it...

    http://amotheragain.blogspot.com/p/my-101-in-1001-list.html

    Thanks! Can't wait to read more...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm interested in Pure Barre too, they keep sending coupons. And in canning, maybe we can do it together when my garden comes in this summer!

    Excited about your wordpress switch, as I'm having trouble commenting from my phone here, but never have with wordpress.
    This 101 in 1001 thing is beginning to inspire me. might have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Emily -- Oooh, they haven't sent me any coupons yet! If you want to try a class together, PLEASE let me know!! Would LOVE to have a canning buddy, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks Emily! Here is the link to my 101 in 1001
    http://msbuzzworthy.wordpress.com/2011/01/01/101-in-1001/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome goals, I have just started the 101 yesterday. I love your fresh flower arrangement goal, it is one I hadn't seen despite my long searching through potential goals for my own project.
    Hope it's okay that I follow you
    Wishing you the best of luck!
    Rachal
    http://rachals101in1001.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. Of course it's okay, Rachal! I've added you to the sidebar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hello! I've added you to my Google Reader as well...and since I have two accounts, that's two more for #72! :) I love #6...I definitely want to look into that challenge. And #11 is the same as #28 on my list. Here is the link to my list, I would love to be added!
    Happy New Year!
    http://isleofview-facesoflove.blogspot.com/2011/01/101-in-1001-starting-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Add another subscriber to your list! I found your adorable little blog via Twitter, and I love it! Your list is very inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love your list and am excited to watch your progress. I am starting my second 101 in 1001 adventure at beckyblogstoo.wordpress.com!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Emily, you inspire me! I love your blog and especially the idea of "101 in 1001." I'm going to write out my list today and I've told lots of people about the idea and have shown them your blog for inspiration.

    I'm glad to see you are doing well! We must re-connect sometime! Enjoy the holiday weekend!

    Best,
    Kellie Chung

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have one too! http://dashpinchsmidgen.blogspot.com/2010/02/101-in-1001-list.html

    I'm already a year in and I fell behind for a while, so I'll have to catch back up!

    ReplyDelete
  26. BWAH! Gregory the Terrible Eater is an EXCELLENT book.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Emily,

    I love your blog! It's so nice to see that you are living your dream! I remember how stylish and cute your room was in Young back at Wheaton!

    Best,

    Callie Schneider

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi my love...
    Question: Did you say somewhere that people can comment on/about our individual 101s? If so, where do these mysterious posts go?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  29. I finally got around to creating a blog and following your lead on this challenge!

    http://poetofgesture.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Peach and Pearl reserves the right to restrict comments that do not contribute constructively to the conversation at hand. Name and email are required, website is not. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!