Monday, February 1, 2010

101 in 1001: February, 2010

As many of you know, I'm entering the third and final year of my 101 in 1001 challenge. It ends on September 28, 2010. I'd like to complete as many goals as possible before then, so to keep myself accountable, I'm reporting on my progress on the first of every month (or close to it!). I'll tell you how many goals I've completed, how many goals are in progress, and which goals I'm going to be focusing on for the month.

So how did I do on my January goals?

Did I...
1. Read three more books of the Bible for no. 3? Read two! (II Samuel + I Kings)
2. Send one more handwritten letter for no. 10? Yes! I sent another letter to my best pen pal Molly.
3. Buy a book of New York Times crosswords for no. 25? Not yet.
4. Look into local opportunities for mini internships for nos. 34-38? Yes! But unfortunately without much success. I did find one potential local letterpress printer, but their hours are 9-5, Monday through Friday, which is not exactly compatible with a full-time job. I also looked into adult education opportunities through my pretty amazing and reasonably priced local Parks & Rec department, and have my eye on two separate bookmaking courses, a papercutting course, an upholstery course, and an embroidering course.
5. Read another financial literacy book for no. 43? Yes! I read Rich Dad, Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki. It was okay.
6. Post snack list for no. 45? Yes! It includes, among other things, hardboiled eggs, cheddar cheese and reduced-sodium Triscuits, popcorn with dark chocolate shavings, hummus and pita chips, clementines, and any combination of peanut butter and bananas.
7. Complete no. 57? Not yet. Man, this one is hard.
8. Research growing vegetables for no. 86? Yes! I figured out the last frost date for our area using the NCDC charts, I took notes on Martha's growing tips, I decided on the varieties of tomato, lettuce, and (maybe) cucumber that I'd like to grow, and I ordered seeds from Seed Savers just in case I attempt to start the plants as seedlings.

Bonus! I completed no. 76 by making a loaf of bread from scratch (thanks to sister Kate and her KitchenAid Mixer!).

Where am I now? 35 completed and 23 in progress.

So what will I be tackling in February? I will...
1. Read three more books of the Bible for no. 3.
2. Send one handwritten letter for no. 10.
3. Attempt to get safety certified for no. 20 and look into local builds.
4. Read another classic for no. 27.
5. Memorize another poem for no. 28.
6. Contribute to my IRA for no. 44.
7. Just do it already for no. 48.
8. And -- this is the big one -- attempt to complete no. 59.

See more details on any of these goals right here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Peach and Pearl reserves the right to restrict comments that do not contribute constructively to the conversation at hand. Name and email are required, website is not. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!